Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lemon Verbena

I just found some old notes while cleaning a pile of papers.  A little fun I had at a writing class a few years ago.  The teacher, a published novelist, threw out the word "verbena" to the class, without a definition, and asked us to write something in 10 minutes.  I had verbena growing in my backyard. Unfortunately for the rest of the class, I think I was the only one who did. :)

Verbena ©2004 D.Magone

I have a small house in urbania,
where I plant lots and lots of verbena.
I tend it with care, it grows here & there.
Depends on the amount of the rainia.

The lemon is quite aromatic.
The cinnamon smells very fine.
But my favorite of all, my verbena
grows ground to roof on a vine.

I pluck it and dry it in autumn,
I put it in soaps and in teas.
I really am careful when crushing it,
my verbena sometimes makes me sneeze.

2 comments:

scifimysterian said...

where is the Mystical Place?

Deborah Magone said...

Right in my own backyard scifimysterian :)